James Thompson "Buzzing Method"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Valerio Prigiotti View Drop Down
Orchestra
Orchestra

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Valerio Prigiotti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: James Thompson "Buzzing Method"
    Posted: 21 Oct 2008 at 07:17
After receiving advice from forum members I started again working on the Buzzing Method.

I searched the forum and I found many posts on it but not a dedicated thread so I'd like to open one.

Who uses the book?
Everybody breathes through the nose?
Who thinks it is not worthy and why?
What do you study after it? (Colin, Clarke, Arban, patterns, Aerbersold...)

Any input is very welcome Smile
"Music Is My Mistress"
Greg Condemi View Drop Down
Orchestra*
Orchestra*

Quote Greg Condemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2008 at 09:17
I use it, on & off. Early in my practice, it serves as a nice warm-up. I rarely breathe through my nose. I have a badly deviated septum and it's not really an option. I've only made it through 1/2 the book, say the 1st 9 exercises. I still can't cover the real high stuff. Not enough hours in the day for me...........
gregc
John Sheets View Drop Down
Orchestra*
Orchestra*

Quote John Sheets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2008 at 14:17
I use James Thompson's Buzzing Method religiously! Alex got me started on it I'm sure she'll chime in. I rarely breathe through my nose; I'm more comfortable bringing air in through the corners of my mouth.

I think James Thompson's book is worth my own weight in gold! I used to have some troubles centering notes and producing good tone. This book fixed all that for me.

After it if I have time I will work on some Arban's; maybe some Etudes then I get into what ever music I'm working on.

Like Greg I've not been able to cover all the real high stuff; but I assure you this book has had a huge impact on my playing.
"Trombones; damn it! Not breaking that musical phrase is far more important then your having to breath! - Jim Skura director of my community band.
Alex Yates View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Alex Yates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2008 at 00:30
Hello there! I promise to get to this subject by the weekend. I studied with Thompson when he was developing this method and know it VERY well. It can be very beneficial for several reasons depending on the player. I also did it for years as a warm-up.

It really is not necessary to ever go past the first 10 for the rest of your life to get the full benefit. from this method.  Jim just does it because he can. LOL. Wink
I am a work in progress dressed in the fabric of a world unfolding. - Ani DiFranco
Orchestra
Orchestra

Quote Valerio Prigiotti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2008 at 05:07
Thanks Alex...I am really looking forward to read your commentary!

Edited by Valerio Prigiotti - 24 Oct 2008 at 07:31
"Music Is My Mistress"
Roy Griffin View Drop Down
Orchestra
Orchestra

Quote Roy Griffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2008 at 07:45
Me too!!! I just ordered the book via next day air so I should get it today.
I am looking forward to giving it a shot.
Derek Reaban View Drop Down
Orchestra*
Orchestra*

Quote Derek Reaban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2008 at 12:22

Valerio,

Here are some good discussions about Buzzing Basics and The Buzzing Book on the TH web site.  I think you’ll find some good information if you read through each of these topics:

James Thompson Buzzing

James Thompson Buzzing Book

James thompson buzzing book

Beginner guide to James Thompson Buzzing Book???

Ole’s Review of The Buzzing Book

Orchestra
Orchestra

Quote Valerio Prigiotti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2008 at 04:53
Derek,

thanks a lot :)
"Music Is My Mistress"
Roy Griffin View Drop Down
Orchestra
Orchestra

Quote Roy Griffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2008 at 11:38
Two questions for Alex:
1) Bb or C?
2) would it be ok to do my usual warm up first? My usual warm up is Stamp.

Thanks, Roy
Alex Yates View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Alex Yates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2008 at 11:50
Hey Roy,

Bb most certainly.

You can do a little warming up first, that is OK. I do believe one gets the greatest benefit beginning their day with this routine, however.

Thanks for posting those links Derek. I will have to go look through them and see if there are any red flags for Valerio (or anyone else) because there has been a lot of incorrect information floating around those forums about this routine. Max Matzen is one of the few guys that I trust knows what he is talking about as he recently did his grad work with Jim.
I am a work in progress dressed in the fabric of a world unfolding. - Ani DiFranco
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>