Virtual Trumpet Studio Homepage GR Mouthpieces
Forum Home Forum Home > Teaching Techniques > Born again?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Peterson Strobe Tuner with Drone

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Richard Oliver View Drop Down
Orchestra*
Orchestra*

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Richard Oliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Peterson Strobe Tuner with Drone
    Posted: 03 Jan 2008 at 17:23
I'm sticking this post here since I'm a "born again'er" :)

I emailed Peterson asking if they had a strobe that would work as a drone too. And one that would not require resetting pitches in a cumberson manner as one would progress through the 7 valve postions. Here's the email I received.

What do y'all think?

Hi Richard,
We do actually make such a tuner/tone generator which, when used with a
Peterson TP-2 pickup, operates automatically and hands free, emitting
and matching your tone with a drone at the correct pitch while showing
your own performance on the strobe screen, no foot pedals or switches
required.
Its called the AutoStrobe 590:
http://www.petersontuners.com/index.cfm?category=70&sub=24

It even has a headphone jack for mixing the level of your instrument
with the drone.

Best regards,

John Norris
Peterson Electro-Musical Products, Inc.
11601 S. Mayfield Ave.
Alsip, IL 60803
Phone:1-708-388-3311
Fax:1-708-3883341
E-Mail jnorris@petersontuners.com
www.petersontuners.com
www.strobostomp.com
www.strobosoft.com

Derek Reaban View Drop Down
Orchestra*
Orchestra*

Quote Derek Reaban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2008 at 17:51

Richard,

That looks like a VERY cool machine!  However, I did a quick check and found that these wonders of technology go for a whopping 850 bucks!!.  I can think of many other things that would be far better to spend this money on (for instance, purchasing a plane ticket to New York City so see a production of the Met and have a lesson with David Krauss and a nice meal)!  Really, that’s way too much for an individual to spend on a tuner (maybe this could be something that your friend could purchase for the school and you could spend some time with it before or after rehearsals).

I can recommend the TuneUp system to help you train your ears while listening for the most vibrant sound.  Even Audacity can help you to find when you’re really hitting the center (although it’s not real time like the Peterson tuner would be).

Edited by Derek Reaban - 03 Jan 2008 at 18:04
Ed Grant View Drop Down
Orchestra
Orchestra

Quote Ed Grant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2008 at 18:59
Richard, our Community Band has a Peterson AutoStrobe 490.  They are incredible machines and sure can display how well (or not!) you are covering all of the harmonics.  There's really no need for a "drone" note with them: they aren't really intended for that kind of use.  What you want to be using them for is adjusting your "ear" and your horn to get the best sound.

If you simply want to match a tone, then one of those $29 metronomes with built-in 440 (+/- 5) works just as well for a whole lot less money.
Retirement is confirmed for Dec 31/09. Back vacation means effective date is Oct. 23/09.
Orchestra*
Orchestra*

Quote Richard Oliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2008 at 00:20
Sheesh! I never looked at the price. Guess I'll have to talk our Band Director into buying one for the school and borrow it from time to time!

"Tune-Up" Derek?

I feel silly. Should have checked the price.

Edited by Richard Oliver - 04 Jan 2008 at 00:22
Derek Reaban View Drop Down
Orchestra*
Orchestra*

Quote Derek Reaban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2008 at 02:16
Richard,

Try this link which gives my impressions of the TuneUp product and then follow the link at the bottom of the post.  It's really a good product and encourages you to play in tune with your best sound.

Hope this helps.

Orchestra*
Orchestra*

Quote Richard Oliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2008 at 11:10
Derek, thanks so much!!
Matt Dalton View Drop Down
Orchestra
Orchestra

Quote Matt Dalton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2008 at 13:37
I find that it's hard to tune with drones unless they are loud enough, and have never found portable tuners to offer either enough volume or a good enough sound to be useful for that purpose.  Using a CD-based approach like "the Tuning CD," "Tune-Up," or others is a better way to go for me, because it provides the best opportunity to hear resultant tones. 

Use of the aforementioned Audicity software on a computer could be equally good too.  The most recent ITG Journal had an article entitled "Twenty-First Century Practice Techniques" that discusses this, and provides references to Audicity sound files of sustained organ sounds, which you'll find at http://wwwnew.towson.edu/music/trumpet/Drones.htm.  (The article goes on to describe how to use these with a sequencer when focusing on particular pieces of music...just more proof of the value of the Journals and ITG Membership!)

Matt Dalton
Bill Bergren View Drop Down
Orchestra
Orchestra

Quote Bill Bergren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2008 at 14:26
Since we are working on ears why not have a device that plays a tone that we match by simply turning a knob? When I was tuning pianos a lot, out of tune band members became intolerable.
Bill Bergren
 Post Reply Post Reply